Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Define: "home"

approximately two years ago (ok, so we're a couple month off, but let's ignore that right now) I wrote a somewhat organized blog post about my trip to Cambodia to bring speechless to the Cambodian people. Well, it was sort of about the trip, the main point about the blog post was the conflict that I faced when I returned home after our 12 days in Cambodia.

back then the challenge was returning was starting down the new road that lay ahead of me (recently graduating high school). I had my friends that I wanted to stay in contact with, figure out how I was going to get a job, which school I was deciding to go to, etc. etc.

fast forward a few years (to today) I've just returned from a trip (about 4.5 days short of a month) to Vietnam and Cambodia. This time around I'm returning to jobs (barista at Kéan coffee, part time freelance photographer, internship at post production studio) bills, and still figuring out what I'm going to be doing in my future. To clear some things up, school is looking like it's not going to be happening (unless a few million dollars fall into my lap and I am a complete failure at finding a decent career) I've decided to learn on my own because I don't have the money for school, and don't want to bother with figuring out the scholarship/student loan path (also don't want to have to pay off a student loan)

ok, baseline stuff aside, I've been trying to figure out exactly where I'm going to be going forward from now (the main concern is how am I going to fund all my grand plans). When I returned from this trip the biggest thing that is harder for me to get used to is being home, I'm so ready to be back over seas. Whether it's going back to the countries I know like Vietnam and Cambodia, or whether it's going to new places, there's this strange feeling that even though this house I'm living in has been my home for the past 12 years I feel that I left my home behind when I got on the plane to come back "home". It feels so natural being over there, people act like people should, kind, serving, always smiling.

I think the main reason for feeling like I was leaving my home is the relationships I have built up over the past 5 years of visiting Cambodia. It's really hard for me to explain all of the different feelings that are running through my head but it's like running through a ridiculously long roller coaster with no apparent beginning or end.

In the long run, it's really a challenge for me to accept the fact that this is my home, I really would like to go back, and spend all the time I can traveling the world while I'm young. Please pray that God makes it apparent where I'm supposed to go and how I'm supposed to get there

well, I can blog from half way around the world (because there were people interested in what I was doing) now lets see if I can keep it up while I'm back on US soil

until next time
Soli Deo Gloria
Brandon Goodyear


No comments:

Post a Comment