Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Vietnam in words

GOOOOD MORNING VIETNAM!!!!!!

so I've been here in Vietnam (Saigon, Vinh Long, [headed to Tra Vinh]) for a grand total of 2 days. I've taken over 2500 pictures, several hundred video clips, and having the time of my life.

The day we landed was pretty relaxing yet exciting, one of our team members (Diana) is Vietnamese and her father used to live in Saigon in a little apartment building, all we had was an address and a local, but we set off from our hotel in the rain and the traffic to find where her dad used to live. This was a pretty awesome experience, armed with camera in hand I set off with Thun (pronounced Thûng), Diana, and Lauren to look for Diana's father's house. Let me preface this trip by saying that neither of the girls has been to a South-east Asian country, let alone crossed the street at a busy traffic circle during rush hour, I'm bummed I didn't catch the first experience on video, quite comical. After surviving the streets and walking many blocks we made it to the address we had, the only thing was it no longer was an apartment complex, but a department store. Once we had taken in the area we took a scenic route back to the hotel to see the rest of the city.

That night we got to have dinner with the team from Alaska that taught English at the university last week. That brought a whole new level of excitement to the team as they were sharing their experiences getting to meet with the Vietnamese and the relationships they built with them.

we were all super tired and despite how much we wanted to stay up late (to aclimate to the time difference and get over jetlag) we all were back at the hotel and asleep by around 9ish

getting to sleep early sounds really awesome (and it is) but with going to sleep early comes waking up at 2, 3, or 4AM. I'm pretty thankful that I was able to get a good night's sleep (makes me thankful for my crazy sleep schedule at home) Knowing that I was going to be running on minimal sleep I decided to look for good coffee when I woke up in the morning (usually about an hour or so before everyone else). One thing I learned pretty quickly is that coffee shops in Vietnam don't open early like they do back home, Everything opened at 7... Period. First day coffee adventure turned into getting to breakfast a little early. After a hearty breakfast we set off to visit all the touristy stuff in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh city) Starting with the reunification center. The reunification center was formerly the palace of the president of Vietnam. The palace has a long history of presidents that were either assassinated or forced to surrender their position in office. (more information about it here http://goo.gl/SE3UU)
Once we finished our tour, Including seeing the basement, helicopters, and tanks used in the war, we hopped in our taxis and headed to the Saigon Sky Deck (tallest building in Saigon). We discovered it when we were on our walk looking for Diana's father's house. The view from the 46th floor was breathtaking (I posted one pic from my phone on facebook) that doesn't really do it justice, better pics will come

*sidenote: taxis are rather small, so our team doesn't quite all fit in one taxi, Thankfully Diana speaks vietnamese so she can help give our driver directions  

Day two of the Coffee adventure however was a tad bit more successful (that's today) we were having breakfast at 7:30 so I woke up a little after 6, showered, grabbed my backpack then headed down to the end of the street to get myself a latte. quite delicious, I was throughly impressed.

*sidenote: I'll do my best to post pictures, but it's taking a long time to process all of them (some on phone, most on camera) also internet has been a bit slow (cept here where I'm posting from is impressively fast)

After a nice cup of coffee and the best Phó ever (yes, I get to have phó for breakfast and it only cost $1.50) we packed our bags and hopped from taxi to taxi (took I think 2 taxis to get to the bus station) and even when we got to the bus station, that was only a small bus that was transitioning us to the big bus to take use to Vinh Long,  while on the big bus I think I set a record for the fastest I have filled a blank memory card (competing with the time I photographed a concert at the House of Blues) there was so much to take in and the bus was moving so fast it was a huge challenge to take in as much as possible. hopefully out fo the 600 or so pictures I took on the bus there are a few good ones to show the experience of driving through the Vietnamese country side.

*sidenote: in Vietnam, bus passes you...

while we're here I'm going to do my best to do a Chronological update of our progress, I have been taking in so much of the culture, people, cities, the list goes on, while I won't have time to compose my thoughts into interesting stories, I'm going to be writing everything down, and when I get a creative spark I'll write up a little anecdote about something funny that happened. Like that one time when I got a small bottle of Tiger Balm for free because I thought it smelled good. Fun times, fun times ^_^

Continue to Pray for us

things to pray about

Rain (as much as we love it, it's rained quite a lot, makes traveling a little bit more of a challenge)
prepare us to mingle with the people we're going to teach
safety (while driving, walking, eating, health)
being a light an good influence to those who we come in contact with

Soli Deo Gloria
Until Next Time
Brandon Goodyear

No comments:

Post a Comment